Thank you so much for applying to become a Big!
1. A program manager will begin processing your application and reach out to you within 48 hours.
2. We will set up an interview with our professional staff to discuss your interests, background, and preferences to help find a great match with a child.
3. We will process the application, reach out to references, and conduct a background check(no background checks for high school students)
4. Staff will provide a training session and resource manual and works you to determine the best possible one-to-one match with a child.
When we think we have a Little who would be a good fit, we will call you to share information about the potential match*. If you and the Little and their guardian agree that the match sounds suitable, we will set up a match meeting to introduce everyone. At this point, the match relationship begins!
Once a match is made, Big Brothers Big Sisters' high-quality Standards of Practice require ongoing contact with Bigs, Littles, and parents. For community-based matches, that means a monthly connection to confirm that Big and Little are getting along well, ensure child safety, and support the relationship. School-and-site-based programs will have an initial second-week check-in with the parent/guardian and monthly check-ins with Bigs and Littles.
* Please understand that the wait for a suitable match can be lengthy, as our ability to match children depends entirely on the needs and personalities of Bigs and Littles.
As a potential Big, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at any time during the process.